Tuesday, June 20, 2006

BRIEF: Apple on Touring



Fiona Apple talks about touring and her upcoming tour in a recent AP interview. The notoriously introverted and tempestuous singer discusses some of the challenges to getting back on the road after a long break...such as connecting with the fans and remembering the actual words to songs.

Q: What was the hardest part of getting back into the routine of a tour?

A: Trying to just remember my own songs, because for the whole time (off) I wasn't doing anything. Pretty much when I'm done recording and taking songs on the road for the first time, I never play them again.

--

Q: There have been times when you've gotten upset on stage. Does that still happen to you?

A: I get upset on the stage all the time. I use the stage as a place to vent everything that I've got going on in my head, so there's always a little bit of being upset up there for some reason. That's just the place where I take stuff out.

While I consider myself a bit of a fan of Ms. Apple's music, the picture this article paints is of a careless and selfish performer and not someone whose show I 'd want to shell out 40 bucks to see. I can only hope that Ms. Apple's true weakness is not on the stage but in accurately speaking about her work. While she is sitting and going over her lyrics for shows, she might do well to go over the speaking points her publicist gave her as well, yikes!

Full interview here here

No comments: