Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Gas Prices Put The Brakes On Touring



I've been eagerly waiting for someone to write this story on behalf of all the poor little struggling touring bands who've been absolutely beaten over the head by these astronomical gas prices.

While I've yet to see anything in a US press outlet (I think I'll have to write it myself!), here's news from Australia where artists are finding it to be almost a financial impossibility to tour (with gas at nearly $6 a gallon!). In addition to gasoline, it's important to remember that even plastic CD cases are made from petrochemical bases (I completely forgot about that--no joke!) .

Mr Watters (Stuart Watters, chief executive of the Association of Independent Record Labels) said the price of petrol wasn't just affecting the cost of touring, but the price of CDs themselves.

"CD cases are made out of a petrochemical base, and that's already gone up," he said.

"With CDs, they're already charging $25, so it's always problematic to try and ask for an increase in price."


In Oz, a group called VROOM has formed to provide resources to touring artists. I hope groups will come together to facilitate more cost-effective and enjoyable touring stateside. We'll see.

Full article here.

No comments: