Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Pitchfork In The News, Under The Microscope

Pitchfork founder and influential tastemaker Ryan Schreiber was recently profiled in The Washington Post.

"Honesty is such an important journalistic attribute," says Schreiber, who had no journalism training when as a 20-year-old former record store clerk he launched the site as a solo operation. "And you have to be completely honest in a review. If it gets sacrificed or tempered at all for the sake of not offending somebody, then what we do sort of loses its value. . . . That's so the opposite of what criticism is supposed to be.

"So I think we maybe have this sort of snobbish reputation. But we're just really honest, opinionated music fans. We might be completely over the top in our praise, or we might be cruel. But to anybody who reads the site, it's clear that we're not pulling any punches."


Blogger Good Hodgkins does an in-depth analysis of Pitchfork and determines that there is no bias. I'd be curious to learn more about Pitchfork writers. I have an image in my head of what type of person writes reviews there, I'd be interested to know close my assumptions are.

No comments: